The LaSalle Street facility eventually became a full dealership. This view of the showroom about 1954.
A promotional item from 1951. This wheel indicates the distance and route from Chicago to major cities throughout the US.
A matchbook from the late forties.  A supermarket now stands on the location of the dealership.

LASALLE

Tri-City Implement Co.

900 First St.


LOVELL, INDIANA

Speelmon Motor Co.

404 Commercial Ave.


MAZON

Wayne Misener


MENDOTA

R. C. Service Co.

702 Monroe St.


MONTICELLO

James G. Ward

425 Washington St.


MOUNT MORRIS

Mt. Morris Motor Sales

7 E. Center St.


MUSCATINE

Ed. Leu's Garage

100 W. Fourth St.


NAPERVILLE

Central Motor Sales

245 Main St.


OAK PARK

Hill Motor Sales

649 Madison St.


OTTAWA

P. H. Godfrey

215 Jefferson


PARK RIDGE

Hesser & Soden Motors Inc.

32-38 Main St.


PECATONICA

Stanley's Garage


PEKIN

Brant's Garage

Fourth and Margaret Sts.


PEORIA

Scheel Motor Co.

1909 Main St.


PONTIAC

E. M. DeBolt

414 N. Plum


PRINCETON

Miller Motor Sales

204 S. Main


RANTAUL

R. & P. Motors

Sangamon & Chandler Sts.


RENNSELAER, INDIANA

R. P. Carton

Harrison & Van Rennselaer


ROCHELLE

Eugene Bain

314 Sixth St.


ROCKFORD

Nelson Motor Sales

303 Kishwaukee St.


ROCK ISLAND

Eddie Gippert

1503 Fourth Ave.


SANDWICH

Reyman's Garage


SOUTH BEND, INDIANA

Newman & Altman

528 S. Michigan St.


SOUTH HOLLAND

Kickert's Auto Sales

107-109 159th St.


STERLING

J. H. Corbett

401 E. Third


STREATOR

Chas. F. Johnson & Son

212 N. Sterling


SYCAMORE

Harry C. Jahns

121 N. Maple


VALPARAISO, INDIANA

Caryer Motor Sales

107 Indiana Ave.


WATSEKA

Jack Lee Motors

214 W. Walnut St.


WAUKEGAN

Conzelman Motor Co.

541 S. Genesee St.


WEST CHICAGO

East Washington Motors

636 E. Washington St.


WHEATON

Hepler-Voelz Motors

114 E. Liberty Dr.


WOODSTOCK

McHenry County Motor Sales

218 Throop St.


ZION

Peterson Pure Oil Service

Chicago's Packard Dealers

Selling the Car in Chicago

Packard had a presence in Chicago by the early part of the century. While there were numerous independent Packard dealers, Packard Motor Car Company owned and operated four branches in Chicago. The main showroom was on Michigan Avenue, with associated branches in Evanston, Hubbard Woods and the south side. Of these four locations the Hubbard Woods and South Shore buildings remain. The list below is from the 1941 Packard Factory Dealer and Distributor Directory. Not all dealers that fell in the Chicago Zone are listed, only dealers that are considered in the Chicago "area." As we gather pictures and more information, we'll try to present an informative and interesting historical sketch of Chicago's Packard Dealers. If anyone outside of Chicago owns a Packard sold here, please write to us.  We'd be curious as to where the cares ended up and perhaps we can offer some information as to the dealership it was sold at.


The Packard Motor Car Company

by Gene Maslana

There once was a time when Packard's famous "tombstone" grill symbolized unparalleled leadership in American automobile luxury, style and engineering. Yet while to own a Packard signified membership in the social aristocracy, Packards were more than icons of the wealthy for the company was one of the cornerstones of the auto industry. Packard made great contributions to automotive, aviation, and marine engineering as well as to our defense efforts during both World Wars.


Packard was founded in 1899 by two brothers, James Ward and William Doud Packard of Warren, Ohio.  They ran the Packard Electric Company, makers of wire and electrical equipment. Legend has it that James  was so dissatisfied with a Winton auto he bought and so complained to Alexander Winton who responded, "If you're so smart build a better machine yourself."  Soon a one-cylinder Packard was chugging around Warren.  The car's reliabiity so impressed the public orders rolled in and the brothers found themselves in the auto business. They stressed superior engineering and craftsmanship in their cars, qualities that would remain hallmarks of the company for nearly 60 years.


By the early teens Packard, having since moved to Detroit, had established itself as one of America's premier automakers. Large, powerful, and finely appointed, Packards graced the driveways of tycoons and heads of state. A new standard in engineering was set in 1915 with the introduction of the "Twin-Six" V-12 engine. By the late twenties Packard chassis were cloaked in the finest custom bodies from LeBaron, Rollston, and Dietrich. The mighty V-12's and super Eights of the thirties were the pinnacle of style, power, and luxury. However, the worsening depression forced Packard to enter the lower priced market in 1935, first with a small eight cylinder car, the 120, followed by the Six in 1937. They were hugely successful, setting sales records and making Packard the only independent luxury car maker to survive the thirties.


Unfortunately Packard largely abandoned the luxury market altogether after World War II in favor of less expensive "mid-priced" cars. While meeting with some early sales success, this strategy tarnished their image as a fine car maker and sales began to slide. The lack of a V8 engine also contributed to falling sales. In the midst of these difficulties and increasing competition, Packard bought debt-ridden Studebaker as part of the ill-fated attempt at merging Hudson, Nash, Packard, and Studebaker into American Motors. New models in 1955, finally with a V8, only temporarily improved the company's fortunes. With plummeting sales, new investors forced Detroit Packard production to cease and on June 25, 1956, the last true Packard was built. While Packards were built through 1958, they were nothing more than Studebakers with different trim. The final sad chapter came in 1962 when Studebaker dropped Packard from the corporate name. Studebaker ceased auto production in 1966.



Some Achievements of The Packard Motor Car Company


  •  First with a steering wheel, H-pattern gear shift, V-12 engine, thermostatic engine cooling, four-wheel brakes, hypoid rear axle, air conditioning, automatic overdrive, and torsion bar suspension (in the US).
  • First car to travel faster than 60 mph, first to cross the US under its own power, first TRUCK to cross the US.
  • First family to drive across the US drove a Packard (1908).
  • Principle designer and largest producer of the World War I Liberty aircraft engine. Largest producer of Rolls-Royce Merlin aircraft engines and designed and built PT Boat engines during WW II.
  • Built first diesel aircraft engine to fly.
  • Only independent auto company to design and build an automatic transmission (ultramatic).
  • Numerous air and sea speed records set with Packard engines.
  • And the famous slogan:


ASK THE MAN WHO OWNS ONE

Packard Motor Car Co. of Chicago

PMCC Factory-Owned Sales Branch

and Distributor

2357 S. Michigan Ave.

Sevice Dept. at 1639 N. Wells St.

The Showroom is gone (it was about

two blocks from the Chess Records

Studios) but the garage is now

a Treasure Island grocery store

and is across the street from The

Second City Comedy Theater.


Packard Motor Car Co. of Chicago

Evanston Branch

1735 E. Railroad Ave.

Building is gone.


Packard Motor Car Co. of Chicago

Hubbard Woods Branch

925 Linden Ave.

Showroom is now a GAP store.


Packard Motor Car Co. of Chicago

South Shore Branch

1511 E. 71st St.


CHICAGO

A & A Motors

8309 S. Ashland


Balzekas Motors

3451 S. Archer

Son of the owner

Stanley Balzekas is in POC.


Buresch Motor Sales

3745 Ogden Ave.


Fashion Automobile Sales, Inc.

5042 S. Cottage Grove


Hill Motor Sales

4550 Washington Blvd.


Hon, Smithson & Raymond

1809 Devon Ave.


E.J. Lewis Motor Sales

120 E. 115th St

Closed in the early fifties when

the owner died.


Logan Square Motor Sales

2429 Milwaukee Ave.


Northwest Side Motors

3441 N. Cicero


Opas and Sons

1339 W. 51st St.


Edward Solbrig Motor Sales

6120 S. Western Ave.


CICERO

Ted Bartnick Motor Sales

5245 Cermak Rd.


CRYSTAL LAKE

L. B. Robbin & Son

405 Virginia St.


DANVILLE

V. P. Motors

317 N. Vermillion St.


DAVIS JUNCTION

R. V. Lace


DEKALB

Mull Motor Sales

802 S. Fourth St.


DIXON

Hemminger Garage

90 Ottawa St.


EAST CHICAGO, INDIANA

Tri-City Motors

3535 Michigan Blvd.


ELGIN

Elgin Motor Sales and Service

192 Wellington


ELMHURST

E. A. Langkafel

127 E. First St.


FREEPORT

C. A. Haller Sales Co.

208-


GALESBURG

Shrick Motor Co.

67 N. Cherry St.


GARY, INDIANA

Tri-City Motors

760 Washington St.


HAMMOND, INDIANA

Snodgrass Motor Sales

6530 Calumet Ave.


HARVARD

E. C. Ferris

Johnson & Front Sts.


JOLIET

Waddell Motor Co.

66 Scott St.​


KANKAKEE

Yeates & Betourne

100 W. Court St.


KEWANEE

Armour Motor Sales

​401 W. Second


LAGRANGE

LaGrange Motor Sales

​206 W. Burlington Ave.


LAPORTE, INDIANA

A. C. Mansfield

712 Monroe St.


Chicago Packard Dealers, 1941

(as of 2012)



A Distinguished Family...

Every year after World War II, Packard released a promotional photo montage showing a car for every they were in business. Sadly 1956 would be the last year that such a photo would be published. The final new car shown was a Caribbean Hardtop, a new and complimentary model to the Caribbean Convertible.